At Castleway Primary School we want our KS2 children to develop an interest in learning other languages in a way that is stimulating and enjoyable. Our MFL curriculum is designed to develop children’s skills in languages, through regularly taught lessons. Children progressively acquire, use and apply a growing bank of vocabulary organised around different topics. We follow a carefully planned scheme of work to ensure coverage and progression across school.
We aim to :
- Increase children’s confidence.
- Stimulate and encourage curiosity about languages.
- To embed the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing necessary to enable children to use and apply their French learning in a variety of contexts and lay the foundations for future language learning.
Children are encouraged and supported to develop their speaking and listening skills through conversational work, singing activities, stories and games. As confidence and skill grows, children record their work through pictures, captions and sentences:
- Displays are used to remind children of key vocabulary;
- Practical activities, songs and games are used to help improve memory and recall;
- Visual prompts are used to support children in translating new vocabulary;
- Word banks are available for children to support their learning and recap previous learning.